Виртуальный Владимир » Город Владимир » Old Russian Towns » Suzdal » Historic buildings » Church of Tanners Settlement | ![]() |



































Crossing the bridge and turning left we reach tw churches belonging to the former tanners' settlement o a bend of the river which we saw earlier from the town ramparts. They form a typical Suzdal pair consisting Ot the summer Church of the Epiphany (1781) and the small heated winter Church of the Nativity (1739) attractively situated in the water-meadows by the Kamenka. The earlier Church of the Nativity with its tiny dome and plain walls is a very cosy little building. Its west end is adjoined by a bell-tower with a slender, slightly concave tent-shaped spire reminiscent of the former bell-tower belonging to the Church of the Entry into Jerusalem. The larger Church of the Epiphany is similar to the Church of the Sign which we have already examined but its decoration is more novel. The kokoshnik band has been replaced by a simple cornice, the corners of the square body of the church and the narthex are ornamented with two rows of rusticated masonry, and the jusual covering has been replaced by two intersecting double-sloped roofs curving upwards at the base with an octagonal two-tiered dome.
Оставить комментарий: