Виртуальный Владимир » Город Владимир » Old Russian Towns » Vladimir » Historic buildings » Northern edge of the town | ![]() |
















Having examined all the historic buildings of the town's southern aspect from the Golden Gates almost up to its easternmost tip, let us now return to the western part of the old town and visit the Princess Convent. Proceeding along Herzen Street we reach the earth ramparts and moat of 1108.
On the right we can still see the deep moat merging with the gully and the slopes of the great earth rampart. As we continue along Podbelsky Street we should remember that the old rowdy market used to stand on this spot after it had been transferred here by Vsevolod in connection with the town riots. Somewhere in this area lie the buried ruins of the last major building to be erected before the Mongol invasion, the stone Church of the Exaltation ot the Cross, founded in 1218 by Prince Konstantin. It was still standing at the beginning of the eighteenth century and is marked on the 1715 plan of Vladimir (111. 2). Judging by this tiny drawing it was a small church, possibly without pillars. For some reason it attracted the attention of the Moscow rulers and in 1469 it was repaired by the Moscow architect Vassili Yermolin.
Оставить комментарий: