Виртуальный Владимир

The Convent walls were already partly built of stone in the sixteenth century, but the present ones belong to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The older sections have retained the design used for real fortified walls. On the inside there are blind arches supporting a wooden defensive gallery along the upper section of the walls. Higher up still is a brick parapet with narrow loopholes. A section of this kind was restored by Alexei Varganov in 1957 in the southwest corner of the walls. In the northern half of the convent a number of seventeenth-century tent-shaped towers have survived, ex­tremely austere and almost completely devoid of decora­tion. They were never used for defensive pur­poses and served a purely ornamental function. It is inter­esting, however, that there is a second wall between the outer walls and the convent itself, surrounding a special inner courtyard. The eighteenth-century towers are more elaborate. Their octagonal bodies are divided into tiers by horizontal bands and the niches of the narrow win­dows in the upper tier create the impression of a band of blind arcading. This suggests that the architect may have wanted to reproduce the rich decoration on the main tower of the Spaso-Yevfimiev Monastery. It is pos­sible that the eighteenth-century towers were originally crowned with wooden, tent-shaped spires like those of the older towers.


http://virtvladimir.ru :: Виртуальный Владимир